John Hartwig won the 2018 Tetrahedron Prize for Creativity in Organic Chemistry; he is "the youngest person to receive the prize since Stuart Schreiber over two decades ago."
Our research group aims to discover, develop and understand new transition metal-catalyzed reactions. The discovery of fundamentally new transition metal chemistry and its development into practical, catalytic synthetic methods is a theme of our research.
Our Latest Publications
Synthesis of Heteroaromatic Trifluoromethyl Ethers with Trifluoromethyl Triflate as the Source of the Trifluoromethoxy GroupChem. Comm. 2018, 54, 10124-10127.
- Nature 2018, 560, 355-359.
Iridium‐Catalyzed, Silyl‐Directed, peri‐Borylation of C-H Bonds in Fused Polycyclic Arenes and HeteroarenesAngew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 10163-10167.
Mechanistic Studies of Palladium-Catalyzed Aminocarbonylation of Aryl Chlorides with Carbon Monoxide and AmmoniaJ. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 7979-7993.
Reductive Elimination from Phosphine-ligated Alkylpalladium(II) Amido Complexes to Form sp3 Carbon-Nitrogen BondsJ. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, ASAP.
Stereodivergent Allylation of Azaaryl Acetamides and Acetates by Synergistic Iridium and Copper CatalysisJ. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, ASAP.
Mechanism of the Ullmann Biaryl Ether Synthesis Catalyzed by Complexes of Anionic Ligands: Evidence for the Reaction of Iodoarenes with Ligated Anionic CuI IntermediatesJ. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 793-806.
- J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 1502-1507.
- J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 1460-1470.
- Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 4234-4241.
Mechanistic Investigations of the Hydrogenolysis of Diaryl Ethers Catalyzed by Nickel Complexes of N-Heterocyclic Carbene LigandsJ. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 17667-17676.
- J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 16088-16091.
John F. Hartwig has been invited to become a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 2018.
John F. Hartwig won the 2018 Centenary Prize from Royal Society of Chemistry for his discovery of new catalytic reactions, mechanistic elucidation, and application to organic synthesis
September 2016: Dr. Alexandra Strom was awarded an NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship for research in Tim Jamison's research group at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
August 2016: Dr. Hiroki Hayashi has won an Uehara Memorial Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship
July 2016: Noam Saper has won an NSF Graduate Student Fellowship
June 2016: Trevor Butcher has won an NSF Graduate Student Fellowship
June 2016: Dr. Rhett Baillie has won an NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship
June 2016: Anneke Runtupalit has won a STAR Award from Department of Chemistry
August 2015: Chen Cheng has won a Bristol-Myers Squibb Graduate Student Fellowship
August 2015: Matthew Larsen has won an ACS and Chevron Graduate Student Fellowships
August 2015: Hartwig Research Lab has won a UC Berkeley Excellence in Laboratory Safety Award
December 2018: Dr. Mingshuo Zeng will begin her new position as a Senior Scientist in the Department of Discovery Chemistry at Genentech, South San Francisco, CA.
June 2018: Dr. Taegyo Lee will begin his new position as a Senior Scientist at Pfizer Inc., Groton, CT.
April 2018: Dr. Eunhye Kang will begin her new position as a Scientist at LG in South Korea.
April 2018: Dr. Haoquan Li will begin his new position as a Senior Scientist at Dow Chemical Company, Midland, MI.
April 2018: Dr. Ala Bunescu will begin her new position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Dept. of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
April 2018: Dr. Masahiro Kojima will begin his new position as an Assistant Professor at Dept. of Chemistry, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.
April 2018: Dr. Qing-Wei Zhang will begin his new position as an Assistant Professor at Dept. of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China.
Prof. Hartwig will present his following talks in 2018:
- Gordon Research Conference, Ventura, CA 1/21–23
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 2/27
- Sigma-Aldrich Lecturer, Duke University, Durham, NC 2/28
- Georgetown University, Washington, DC 3/14
- Smith Lecture, University Penn, Philadelphia 3/15
- Bailar Lectures, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL 3/28–29
- John Stauffer Distinguished Lecture, Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 4/12–13
- Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS 5/14
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 5/21-25
- National Research Council of Italy (ICOMC), Florence, Italy 7/15–20
- ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA 8/19-22
- ACS Symposium/Pfizer, New London, CT 9/21
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 10/24
- Dreyfus Teacher – Scholar Symposium, New York, NY 10/26
- Colloquium, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 11/9
- Organic Seminar, University of Colorado at Boulder, CO 12/10
For more information see the Members page